Monday, June 10, 2013

Blueberry Muffins (just like my mother used to make)

It was my turn to host Book Group last week. Okay the group volunteered me for our June session when I was out of town. They are always thinking of me! No problem -- I was going to offer anyway.

Our June meeting marks the end of another year of good books and friendship, so we try to make it a special  night.  Instead of holding a book discussion we all bring reading suggestions for the summer and coming year. For the past two years we have expanded on our typical wine and snacks to enjoy a pot luck dinner. 

After looking over the list of who was bringing what I decided we needed some sort of starch alongside the grilled chicken breasts and assorted salads. Blueberry muffins were the first thing I thought of -- in fact, I think of them often when planning summer menus The yellow dough bursting with purple hued berries always makes a colorful addition to the table and palate.

Over the past few years I have tried a variety of "from scratch" muffin recipes. It seems the mother of every food blogger, cookbook author and radio host has a signature Blueberry Muffin recipe. I tried them all, and you what, I still like my mother's the best.  It is easy and foolproof -- all you need are an egg, vegetable oil, milk, blueberries, and this:



That's right, people, Bisquick!  Don't be a hater. The current healthy  food mantra is "Don't eat anything your Grandmother would not recognize as food."  I think most American grandmothers would recognize this box, don't you?  And it really does make terrific muffins (and pancakes, and biscuits, and  pigs in a blanket wrappers, etc)

Try them, you'll see......


Blueberry Muffins


2 cups Bisquick (reduced fat is fine, too)1/3 cup sugar2/3 cup milk (skim milk is fine)2 tablespoons vegetable oil1 egg3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (not thawed)


Heat oven to 400 degrees.


Grease muffin pan well, or place muffin wrappers in each cup

Stir all ingredients except blueberries in medium bowl, just until moistened.

Fold in berries.

Divide batter evenly in 12 muffin cups - (or 9 cups for larger muffins



Optional: Top with grated lemon zest and a bit of granulated sugar. 

Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Cool slightly and remove from pan to wire rack.

Yield: 12muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment